1. The Nobel Prize in Chemistry was jointly given to M Stanley Whittingham, John B Goodenough and Akira Yoshino for developing the rechargeable, lightweight, powerful and energy-efficient lithium-ion batteries.
2. The Nobel Prize in Physics 2019 was awarded jointly, one half to James Peebles for the theoretical discoveries in physical cosmology and the other half jointly to Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz for the discovery of an exoplanet.
3. World Post Day is observed globally on October 9, to commemorate the establishment anniversary of Universal Postal Union and highlight the significant role of postal services.
4. India slipped 10 places to be ranked at the 68th position in the annual Global Competitiveness Index of 2019. Singapore topped the index with the highest score, displacing the United States.
5. Singapore with a score of 84.8 took the top rank in the Global Competitiveness Index 2019, pushing the United States to the second spot.
6. Union cabinet on October 9, 2019, approved additional installment of 5 percent Dearness Allowance (DA) to Government employees; and Dearness Relief (DR) to pensioners with effect from July 1, 2019. This additional installment would cost Rs 15909.35 crore per annum extra to the Central Government.
7. Union cabinet on October 9, 2019, approved the inclusion of 5,300 Displaced (DP) families of Jammu & Kashmir of 1947 in Cabinet approved Rehabilitation package that was approved on November 30, 2016. These Displaced families are those who initially moved outside the Jammu & Kashmir but later returned and settled in J&K itself.
8. Union Cabinet recently relaxed the requirement of Aadhaar seeded data to receive the benefits of the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-Kisan) scheme. Under the PM-Kisan scheme, income support of Rs 6,000 per year is being provided to landholding farmer families.
9. World Mental Health Day is observed every year on October 10, 2019, to spread awareness about the mental health issues faced by people around the world. The day was first celebrated in 1922.
10. Daily News & Analysis (DNA), the 14-year-old newspaper under the parent Zee Group, will see its last print on October 10, 2019, in Mumbai and Ahmedabad. Facing the liquidity crunch, the brand will now go digital.
09th October 2019 Current Affairs in pdf: Download