1. Chandrima Shaha was recently elected as the President of Indian National Science Academy (INSA). With this, Shaha became the first woman to be elected as President of INSA. She will serve the post from 2020 to 2022.
2. The United States has announced new rules that aim to deny US citizenship to the immigrants who use public benefits. Under the new rules, those already in the US and availing public benefits will be denied the opportunity of getting the green card.
3. The Supreme Court has refused an urgent hearing of a PIL on the security clampdown in Kashmir Valley. The petition was filed by activist Tehseen Poonawalla challenging the Centre’s decision to impose restrictions in Jammu and Kashmir, following revoking of Article 370.
4. Aishwarya Pissay won the FIM World Cup in women’s category in Hungary, becoming the first-ever Indian to win a world title in motorsports. Aishwarya Pissay also finished second in the FIM Junior category.
5. Following the overthrow incident involving Ben Stokes and Martin Guptill in the ICC World Cup final 2019, the MCC (Marylebone Cricket Club), custodians of the Laws of Cricket, said that they are considering reviewing overthrow rules in September 2019.
6. The Bar Council of India (BCI) recently imposed a 3-year moratorium on the opening of new law institutions in the country. However, the moratorium will not apply to the National Law Universities (NLUs).
7. Minister of State for Housing & Urban Affairs, Hardeep Singh Puri launched the fifth edition of the annual cleanliness survey ‘Swachh Survekshan 2020’ on 13 August 2019. The Survey will be conducted in January 2020.
8. Minister of State for Housing & Urban Affairs, Hardeep Singh Puri recently launched SBM Water PLUS Protocol and Toolkit, Swach Survekshan 2020 Toolkit, Swachh Nagar and MSBM Apps while launching the Swachh Survekshan 2020.
13th August 2019 Current Affairs in PDF: Download